Garmin Forerunner 935 and Fenix 5 both are amazing smartwatches, but which one is best for you? Here is the Garmin 935 vs Fenix 5 Comparison.
If you are a fitness freak and always want to keep your workout and other activities on track smartwatch is something you have definitely heard off, well who has not, but you surely understand the importance of smartwatches and why it has such a huge ever expanding market.
If you are willing to pay 50,000 of your hard-earned money for a watch it has to have something that makes that price reasonable, nobody would like to pay that amount for a watch which is not really worth those bucks.
And one is not asking for much if he expects high quality and high-performance watch when he is paying this amount for a watch. We compared the Garmin 935 to the Garmin 735 as well, you can also read that as well. And we also compared the Fenix 5 with Suunto 9 here as well.
|Garmin Forerunner 935||Garmin Fenix 5|
|Display Size||1.2 in (30.4 mm)||1.2 in (30.4 mm)|
|Resolution||240 x 240 pixels||240 x 240 pixels|
|Weight||49 grams||85 grams|
|Wifi||No||Only Sapphire Model|
Garmin 935 vs Fenix 5
Well Garmin knows its customers well and serves its customer exactly with what they need. Be it any price range and any feature, you can always find a Garmin watch making into the list and Garmin totally believes that one’s biggest competition is one himself.
That is quite evident with its series like Forerunner and Fenix which give a strong competition to each other, and Garmin Forerunner vs Fenix is a well talked off comparison. If you are stuck in the same confusion then you are at the right place, here we will be doing a Garmin 935 vs Fenix 5.
These two watches have definitely caught the eyes of every smart watch buyer and review writer and it is no brainer with these two watches available in the market it is extremely difficult to choose one. With this Garmin 935 vs Fenix 5 we will try to solve the confusion and understand which one is best for you.
Garmin 935 and Fenix 5 are the talk of the town for sure and it is no surprise when you see Garmin 935 vs Fenix 5 every time you search for smartwatches and these watches totally justify the attention that they are getting.
In this Garmin Forerunner 935 vs Fenix 5, we will compare the specs the features and the differences in both the watches and will figure out which one is the best for you.
|Garmin Forerunner 935||Garmin Fenix 5|
|Dimensions||47x47x13.9 mm||47x47x15.5 mm|
|Display Size||1.2 in (30.4 mm)||1.2 in (30.4 mm)|
|Display Resolution||240 x 240 pixels||240 x 240 pixels|
|Lens||Glass||Chemically strengthened glass (sapphire crystal)|
|Body||Glass||Chemically strengthened glass (sapphire crystal)|
|Case||Fiber-reinforced polymer||Fiber-reinforced polymer with stainless steel rear cover|
|Strap||Silicone||Silicone or steel|
|Display Type||Transflective memory-in-pixel, sunlight-visible||Transflective memory-in-pixel, sunlight visible(chroma display)|
|Battery Life||Smartwatch Mode – up to 2 weeks GPS/HR on up to 21 hours UltraTrac Mode- up to 44 hours(excluding wrist heart rate)||Smartwatch mode: up to 2 weeks GPS/HR mode: up to 24 hours UltraTrac mode: up to 60 hours without wrist heart rate|
|Heart rate monitor||✓||✓|
|Compass, accelerometer, gryscope, altimeter, barometer||✓||✓|
|Live tracking/group live tracking||✓||✓|
|Automatic rep counting||–||✓|
|Heart rate features|
|HR zones/alerts/calories/ % max/ %hrr/ auto max HR||✓||✓|
|HRV stress test||✓||✓|
|Running features (Running, treadmill running, trail running)||✓||✓|
|Stride length/cadence/ run workouts/race predictor/ foot pod capable||✓||✓|
|Activity Tracking Features|
|Move Bar (displays after a period of inactivity)||✓||✓|
|Auto Goal (sets goal automatically according to your previous performance)||✓||✓|
|Sleep Monitoring (monitors sleep – total sleep, periods of movements and total restful sleep)||✓||✓|
|Auto lap (it automatically starts a new lap)||✓||✓|
|Auto pause (pauses and resumes timer automatically)||✓||✓|
|Auto-scroll (rotation of data pages one by one)||✓||✓|
|VO2 max (calculates the oxygen level processed by the body during workout)||✓||✓|
|Calories burned/ floors climbed/ distance travelled/ intensity minutes||✓||✓|
|Advanced workouts (allows customization of workouts according to the requirement)||✓||✓|
|Training status (indicates whether or not you are training effectively, it tracks the workout history and fitness level trend)||✓||–|
|Training load (calculates the training load for a week using estimated EPOC)||✓||–|
Garmin Forerunner 935 Review
Design: Garmin Forerunner 935 Is A Circular Shaped Smartwatch. Its Bezel And Case Are Made Up Of Fiber-Reinforced Polymer And The Strap Is Made Of Silicone Which Is Changeable. Absence Of Metal Body Makes It Very Lightweight As Compared To The Watches That Have A Metal Body.
This is not the best smartwatch in terms of design but surely is extremely comfortable and can be worn all day long without feeling uneasy.
Forerunner 935 does not support the touch screen which means the navigation has to be done through the buttons only, there are a total of five buttons that makes navigation and control quite easy.
Functions: This watch is packed with ultimate smartwatch features which are the reason why we are totally digging this watch. The running feature not only tracks outdoor running but also indoor and trail running.
It shows vertical oscillation and ratio which basically tells the bounce degree in the running motion and the cost-benefit ratio with stride length, it shows ground contact time and balance provides cadence and what not. Other than running features there are cycling features, swimming features to track swimming and Golfing features too which show some crucial data.
There are preloaded outdoor recreation profiles that include hiking, climbing, skiing, snowboarding, XC Skiing, rowing, paddle boarding, indoor rowing, tactical, and jumpmaster.
Features: Other than the above-mentioned functions is also comes with several activities tracking features. Auto goal sets the workout aim automatically by observing your current performances; sleep monitoring tells you the total restful sleep and periods of movement during the sleep period and it also comes with advanced workout options.
It supports V02 max which tells the oxygen level processed by the body during a workout. Features like training load, training effect metrics are quite impressive.
Heart rate monitor: Heart Rate Monitoring is quite accurate, it is not as good as the chest strap (Garmin acknowledges this fact and therefore supports HR straps compatibility for those who cannot tolerate even a bit of variation) but definitely does its job very well.
There is HRV stress test that helps in calculating the heart rate variability in a scale of 1 to 100 that gives an estimate of stress level, lower the number lower is the stress level.
- Battery life: Forerunner 935 has an excellent extra long battery life that stays up to 2 weeks in smartwatch mode, 21 hours in GPS/HR mode and up to 44 hours in UtraTrac mode when GPS is turned off.
- Comfortable: This watch is quite comfortable to wear; it is extremely light weight which feels like nothing on the wrist. Thus it can be worn throughout the day without feeling the weight on the wrist.
- Multi-activity Tracking: It comes with several activity tracking features and can track running, swimming, cycling and golfing. The list does not end up here there are preloaded outdoor recreation profiles that include hiking, climbing, skiing, snowboarding, XC Skiing, rowing, paddle boarding, indoor rowing, tactical and jumpmaster.
- High cost: This smartwatch definitely is not a very pocket-friendly watch, it comes with all those features at a cost.
- Design: The plastic body does not give a very premium look, although it does have its own advantage since it makes the watch lighter the plastic look is not entertained by many.
- Touch Screen: This cannot be really stated as a pro or a con since it’s a matter of dispute but it does not support touch screen. Which many people are not in favor off, however, the buttons do make navigation easy.
- Does not support onboard music: The sad news is that Garmin forerunner 935 does not support music playback which means either you will have to carry a phone or choose no music while you are working out.
Garmin Fenix 5 Review
Design: Fenix 5 is again a circular shaped watch by Garmin which is again not a touch screen watch just like Forerunner 935.
Its case is made of fiber-reinforced polymer and stainless steel, the bezel is made of stainless steel and the straps are changeable that can sport both silicone and steel bands.
The lens is chemically strengthened glass. it also has a sapphire edition which is, even more, scratch-resistant. Use of metal material makes it look very sturdy and sleek and gives a pricey look. However, it adds to the weight.
Functions: Similar to Forerunner 935 this watch comes with several features. From running features to golf features it supports everything.
If you are a person who enjoys different activities Fenix 5 is a great option worth considering.
There are hardly any activities that this beast does not support. Similar to Forerunner 935 it comes with several preloaded outdoor recreational profiles that include hiking, climbing, skiing, snowboarding, XC Skiing, rowing, paddle boarding, indoor rowing, tactical and jumpmaster.
Features: It comes with outdoor sensors like GPS and GLONASS satellite reception that tracks more challenging environments than GPS. It measures training status and training effects that tell how fruitful your training actually is for you.
Other features are recovery advisor that sets recovery timing and check, has race predictor which is again very helpful since it calculates the estimated time of finishing the activity.
Heart rate monitor: Fenix 5 comes with elevating optical sensor which works pretty well until there are no sudden changes in heart rate, it does lose its accuracy when it witnesses some unexpected increase or decrease.
- Design: The body feels very rich and study. Since it is made of stainless steel, the metal body gives a premium look to the watch.
- Customizable: The straps are changeable that gives room for choices. One can either choose a silicone or a metal band according to the preference.
- Battery Life: Garmin Forerunner battery is impressive but not as impressive as the Garmin Fenix 5. Garmin Fenix 5 has an excellent battery life performance that stays up to 2 weeks when in smart watch mode, up to 24 hours when in GPS/HR mode and up to 60 hours with GPS being turned off.
- Waterproof: This watch is waterproof, which is obvious since it supports swim tracking features but what was not obvious is its 10ATM ranking which means it is water resistant up to 100 meters which is a lot.
- High cost: If you found forerunner 935 costly then you might not just want to hear the price of Fenix 5.
- Heavy: That premium look comes with a disadvantage and that is the weight. The watch is a lot heavier as compared to forerunner 935 that has a plastic body.
- No music playback: This smartwatch again is not equipped with a music playback function. so it’s not bringing your playlist to your wrist.
Garmin Forerunner 935 vs Fenix 5
- Material: Forerunner 935 has its body made of fiber-reinforced polymer while the strap is made of silicone material. Garmin Fenix 5 bezel is made of stainless steel and the bezels are made of fiber-reinforced polymer and stainless steel, the strap is interchangeable which can be silicone band or a steel band. (Winner: Fenix 5)
- Weight: Forerunner 935 is a plastic body weighing 49g which feels nothing on the wrist. Garmin Fenix 5 weights 89g which is a lot more than forerunner 935 however it does give a very sturdy and premium feel to the watch. (Winner: Forerunner 935)
- Battery Performance: The battery is something you do not have to worry about in both of these watches but one still stands ahead of the other one and that is Garmin Fenix 5. Forerunner 935 gives up to 2 weeks in smartwatch mode, 21 hours in GPS/HR mode and up to 44 hours in UltraTrac mode, on the other hand, Fenix 5 gives up to 2 weeks in smartwatch mode,24 hours in GPS/HR mode and up to 60 hours in UtlraTrac mode. (Winner: Fenix 5)
- Display: Forerunner 935 is said to have a better display as compared to Garmin Fenix, the backlit is brighter and crispier in forerunner 935 while Fenix 5 falls short when it comes to displaying. (Winner: TIED)
- Water Resistance: Garmin forerunner 935 is rated 5 ATM waterproof which means it can tolerate up to 50 meters of water and Garmin Fenix 5 is rated 10 ATM waterproof which means it can tolerate up to 100 meters of water. (Winner: Fenix 5)
- Maps: Garmin forerunner lacks a crucial feature that Garmin Fenix 5 supports, that is maps. Garmin Fenix 5 comes with preloaded maps that assist you throughout. (Winner: Fenix 5)
- Ratings and Reviews: The ratings and reviews of Fenix 5 is way lot more than the Forerunner 935, so the overall winner of our Garmin Forerunner 935 vs Fenix 5 comparison is also the Garmin Fenix 4 (Winner: Fenix 5)
As it was clearly mentioned in the beginning this Garmin 935 vs Fenix 5 was to find out which smartwatch is a better choice for you, so it means there is no winner of Garmin 935 vs Fenix 5 but we have definitely found out which one is the best buy for you.
Both Garmin Forerunner 935 and Fenix 5 are highly rated and well talked off smartwatches and we understand why. These watches do not compromise on performance, in features, and build quality.
However, both of them definitely have some differences to target different customers and that is why there is no winner of Garmin 935 vs Fenix 5.
Hands down Garmin Fenix 5 is a great watch and definitely is an improved version of Forerunner 935 but this improved version comes with extra cost.
So if Fenix 5 high cost is not something that is not bothering you Fenix 5 is definitely the one to go for however if you do not mind those added extra 2-3 hours in battery life then Forerunner 935 is the one.
Garmin Forerunner 935 has a lot to offer too, let us not forget it has a better display than the Fenix 5 dull screen, is very lightweight and comfortable.
Also, their body is quite different, if you prefer a robust design that gives a premium feel Fenix 5 is the one for you, on the other hand, if you prefer a lightweight watch which you can wear the whole day long Forerunner 935 is the one to go for.
What is the difference between Garmin 935 and Fenix 5?
Garmin 935 weighs around 49 grams and Fenix 5 weighs 85 grams, the water rating is also different 5ATM with 935 and 10ATM with Fenix 5, but the Fenix 5 is more popular as it has 1800+ reviews and 935 comes with 700+ reviews, but the Garmin 935 is more affordable then the Fenix 5. But Fenix 5 is more feature packed then the 935.
Which is better Fenix 5 or Garmin 935?
If you need an affordable smartwatch then the Garmin 935 is the best for you, but if you need a feature loaded smartwatch and price is not a concern for you then you should go with Fenix 5 as it has more reviews and ratings as well.
Is Garmin Forerunner 935 touch screen?
No, it comes with 5 buttons for easy navigation.
Is Garmin 935 waterproof?
Yes, it has been rated 5ATM which means there is no risk up to 50 meters of water however its optical heart rate monitor does not work underwater.
How long does Garmin 935 battery last?
Forerunner 935 has an excellent extra-long battery life that stays up to 2 weeks in smartwatch mode, 21 hours in GPS/HR mode and up to 44 hours in UtraTrac mode when GPS is turned off.
Does Garmin 935 have Garmin pay?
No, Forerunner 935 does not support Garmin pay.
When did the Garmin 935 come out?
Garmin Forerunner 935 was released on March 2017.
Is Fenix 5 touch screen?
No, it is not a touch screen. Fenix 5 comes with buttons for proper control and easy navigation.
Does Garmin Fenix 5 have Garmin pay?
No, it does not support Garmin pay.