Confused about buying the ProForm ZT4 Treadmill? Is this worth buying or not? Or you need to buy something else? Read our detailed ProFrom ZT4 Treadmill Review, to know what it has to offer.
Physical fitness is a key aspect of human health. The gym equipment was introduced to help simulate such physical fitness activities in indoor situations. We shall look into one such product in our ProForm ZT4 Review.
Physical fitness is essential in maintaining our physical and mental well-being while enhancing our performance in day to day activities.
The long term benefits of physical activity are maintaining weight, insulin, and blood sugar levels while helping combat anxiety and depression. Regular physical fitness also ensures a healthy and regulated sleep cycle.
Walking is amongst the most popular physical fitness activities. All you need is the right footwear and you can set off on a walk.
Walks provide you with a refreshing change of environment, while also exercising the major joints and muscles in our body.
However, poor weather conditions, busy schedules, and lack of walking tracks or parks in the vicinity can prove to be a hindrance if this is your preferred form of exercising.
Treadmills are the largest selling exercise equipment category, according to the Sports and Fitness Industry Association.
A recent study showed that remaining sedentary over a long period of time and avoiding body movement can reduce metabolism as well as can cause ailments in the future that are associated with the heart, muscles, bones, and the brain.
This is an apparatus that consists of a moving conveyor belt that is driven by a motor.
The belt, on shifting to the rear, requires users to step forward to stay on the apparatus without falling off, thus simulating the activity of walking or jogging.
This ensures a good physical exercise within the confines of the house, without having external factors such as weather and traffic affecting your schedule.
We have made a detailed article on What are the Benefits of Running on Treadmill, you can also read that as well to know what are the benefits.
In this article, we shall discuss the various features of the ProForm ZT4 Treadmill, including the pros and the cons of the product, which will help you decide if this product is the right one for you.
ProForm ZT4 Treadmill Review
There are very few brands that are as renowned in the fitness segment as ProForm.
This brand belongs to the ICON Health & Fitness Inc. portfolio, which is the largest manufacturer of exercise equipment in the world. They offer a wide range of products from treadmills to ellipticals and exercise bikes.
The ZT4 is an entry-level treadmill from the ZT Series designed by ProForm. This model was designed with the idea of giving customers adequate facilities to do a workout at home without having to worry about the issues of budget or space constraints.
The foldable model makes it compact and easy to transport. There are multiple features of this product that make it a great product to consider while purchasing a treadmill that offers good functionality while being light on the wallet.
We shall now go into the various aspects and features of the ZT4 in our ProForm ZT4 review. But before going further let’s first see some of the Proform ZT4 treadmill specifications.
|Dimensions||65 x 33 x 11 inches|
|Max. Body Weight||300lbs.|
|Foldable & Heart Rate Sensor||Yes|
|Features||Heart Rate Monitor, EKG Pulse Grip, Accessory Tray, Clip, Storage Latch, Wheel|
|Warranty||Frame & Motor: 5 year, Parts & Labor: 90 days|
Body and Design
Our first thoughts on looking at the ZT4 were the plastic intensive design which made sense thanks to the budget pricing of this product from ProForm.
The console and its surrounding frame are built almost entirely out of plastic too but serve the functionality requirement of the user.
At 155 lbs, the ZT4 is a light treadmill. This complements the patented SpaceSaver design as well as the EasyLift Assist, making lifting and folding the treadmill an easy process without the risk of injury.
The lack of a hydraulic system makes the process a bit inconvenient though, as the user has to support the belt till it reaches the ground.
The design of the ZT4 is space-saving and compact, and this is quite evident by the reduced belt running area, measuring 50 inches long at 20 inches wide.
This can prove to be quite a challenge for tall users or users looking to get a good run on this treadmill.
The forward console looks bulky and dated, with a rather old fashioned layout, display, and button design. We shall go into the details of the functionality of the console in a later part of the ProForm ZT4 treadmill review.
The casing around the display offers sufficient space for the user to keep their valuables. This product is also equipped with a fan and extended handlebars for users needing support.
These aspects of the design enhance the comfort and user experience of customers. The frame is made of precision welded steel, which is coated with anti-corrosive paint.
The ZT4 has forward stabilizers that are made of non-adjustable rubber padding, while the back is made of hardened plastic. It is equipped with castor wheels that make it convenient for users to shift this product around.
The ZT4 comes in black and silver colors only, which isn’t the most appealing. Considering its price point, the visual appeal of this product is something you must willing to sacrifice though.
The console of the Proform ZT4 Treadmill is a mixed bag in our opinion. The poor display with very few parameters on display is provided with a console that provides great functionality and features that users can really enjoy.
The display is an outdated 5” backlit LCD monitor that is an unwanted throwback to displays of the not so recent past.
The display provides the most basic information you can gain, such as distance covered, the incline of the treadmill, the current speed of the belt, time elapsed since the workout began, calories burned and the pulse sensed by the EKG handles.
— Also read: Treadmill vs Elliptical: Which is BETTER and WHY?
The device is hard to read and reminds you a lot about the Tetris console display. It is one of the poorest displays accompanying the Proform range of treadmills and workout equipment, which is very unlike the manufacturer.
The console on the other hand is very well thought out. It features a media tray for you to place your tablet or phone and follow trainer instructions of your choice.
It is also provided with an integrated speaker system for users who get easily annoyed by wired earphones. It also offers iPod connectivity for the users.
On the side of the media, the tray is two extra trays for keeping accessories and other valuables. The console features a start and pause stop button, with easy to access 10 setting speed and incline option, which offers ease of access.
A pet peeve while using the product is that the incline and speed settings are color-coded, with no clear labeling of which is which. This could result in a change in the wrong setting while working out.
It also provides a speed and incline up and down arrow for more controlled and gradual changes. At the center of the console is the magnetic key which is connected to the user to ensure their safety.
We were satisfied with the overall quality of the console while going about our Proform ZT4 Treadmill review.
Most Proform ZT4 Treadmill reviews highlight just the pros and cons of the ZT4 without going into the details of the features. We hope this article’s in-depth feature review helps you gain a valuable insight into the product.
- The ProForm ZT4 Treadmill comes with 16 preset workouts designed by professional trainers. These workouts cater to different requirements of the users according to their preferences. Considering the Proform ZT4 Treadmill price, it is a great feature included by Proform. The user has to choose their workout and then the treadmill accordingly adjusts the incline and the speed of the treadmill.
- The ZT4 comes with a 2.75 CHP Mach Z motor, which combines well with the single-ply stretch-resistant belt to offer a good walking experience while doing the Proform ZT4 treadmill workouts. The high-grade crown rollers and industrial quality ball bearings also ensure great grip and smooth belt motion, which allows for lifetime use if well maintained. The motor is able to provide a speed of 10 mph, with fine increments of 0.1 mph and 0.5 mph. The quick settings on the console provide the user to jump to speeds of their choice quickly.
- The ZT4 comes with a CoolAire fan with a dual-speed fan setting, which provides the user with much-needed cooling and ventilation. This fan however was reported by many other users not to be of many effects during very intense workouts.
- The Proform ZT4 Treadmill is provided with a single deck ProShox Cushioning, which minimizes the impact of the treadmill workout on joints and provides great comfort compared to the user experience walking on irregular and uneven surfaces like concrete and asphalt.
- The ZT4 is provided with dual EKG pulse grips on the handlebars which can measure the pulse rate and show up on the display. However, this is the only way of monitoring your pulse and no other telemetry data can be sensed or displayed on the unit even if you have a wireless fitness tracker.
- The incline can be adjusted by a motor between 1-10%. This feature helps in increasing the intensity of your workout. An incline adjust can simulate the feature of climbing up a street or trail, which enhances the user experience.
- The iPod and MP3 connectivity to the integrated speakers is a great feature to have for users wanting to have light pockets and some entertainment. However, many users reported that the integrated speakers offered poor sound quality and this resulted in the users switching back to their wired headphones.
- The Proform ZT4 weight limit for a user is around 300 lbs. While this is sufficient for most activities, it reflects poorly on the quality of the internal mechanisms. Many users reported uncomfortable experiences while trying to use this product for full-fledged running, as they felt the device lacked stability and shook quite a bit
- Like most other treadmills, the ZT4 also comes with a magnetic safety key that clips to the user. It stops the belt if a disconnection is detected, thus preventing serious user injury if they slip or lose their balance
Maintenance is essential for the proper functioning of any machine. As part of this Proform ZT4 Treadmill review, we shall also give you some tips about maintaining this product.
Regular maintenance involves cleaning the handlebars and grips with a clean and dry towel or cloth to remove sweat. This will help the sensors to function properly while detecting parameters, while also ensuring that the user has an odor-free experience.
Keeping the treadmill away from sunlight and in a humidity and moisture-free environment would help minimize the risk of corrosion and rusting over long periods of use.
— Also read: Tips to Improve Your Treadmill Training
We would also advise users to keep liquids away from the device to prevent damage to the product’s internal electronics and mechanism due to accidental spillage.
The belt must be lubricated at least twice a year, or when it becomes dry. Users can identify this when there is noticeable friction between the belt and the frame, which makes for an uncomfortable experience.
Loosen the belt screws at the rear of the product and then apply the silicone lube on both sides of the belt.
Then let the treadmill run for a few minutes to ensure the lubricant spreads evenly on the belt surface. After lubrication, ensure that the belt is centrally placed to ensure even wear.
ProForm sells a treadmill that helps you maintain the treadmill in great condition. Costing only $30, this kit is provided with a replacement safety key, belt lubricant pack, lubricant applicator sticks, cleaning cloth, treadmill belt cleaner, and an instruction guide which details the lubrication procedures.
Assembly and Warranty
ProForm offers products that have a good reputation when it comes to assembling the product. Living up to this expectation, the assembly of the ProForm ZT4 treadmill is very easy.
The manual is easy to understand, with concise and clear setup instructions provided to the user along with exploded graphical diagrams that clearly explain which component should be fitted where.
ProForm recommends two people to complete the self-assembly, without the need for professional assistance. This ensures that customers can assemble the product without needing any previous assembling experience or skill.
The process of assembly is further simplified by pre-assembled deck, including the motors. As a result, all the users have to assemble is the console mast and the console itself.
The whole process takes around 45 minutes to complete without too many hassles and is relaxing to complete thanks to the lightweight design of the ZT4. For minimizing vibrations and improving the stability during operation, we would recommend place the ZT4 on a treadmill
Our ProForm ZT4 review found out that Amazon provides a free delivery service for this product.
The warranty offered on the ZT4 includes a 5-year warranty on the frame and motor, while offering a 90-day warranty on parts and labor. We found the warranty on the product satisfactory, considering the price point of the ZT4.
Pros and Cons
After detailing the ProForm ZT4 treadmill specifications and features, we have listed down the various pros and cons of this product in short, which offer a quick understanding of how well this product could suit your requirements.
- Easy to assemble and maintain
- 16 preset workouts from ProForm, designed by certified trainers
- A very attractive price point
- ProShox Cushioning for a comfortable walking experience
- Folding design makes it very compact and easy to store
- Dual EKG handlebar grip sensors for vital data sensing
- The display is outdated, hard to read, and very basic
- No Bluetooth connectivity
- The small deck makes running difficult
- Low maximum user weight, reports of instability during intense workouts
- Provision of fan is a plus, but often ineffective, especially during intense workouts
- The power consumption is very high
Here are the most attractive features according to this ProForm ZT4 Treadmill review.
- The ZT4 is easy to assemble, with most of the parts coming pre-assembled. The product does not require regular or intensive maintenance, which makes it convenient for the users
- The ProForm ZT4 treadmill is an affordable and compact product, thanks to its smaller running area and foldable design. This makes it a great option for those looking for a cheap workout aid that does not take up too much space
- The 2.75 CHP motor gives a maximum speed of 10 mph while offering motorized incline changes. The quick incline and speed setting feature as well as ProShox Cushioning provide ease of access and comfort to the user
- The ZT4 features 16 inbuilt preset workouts that are designed by industry certified fitness trainers. This ensures that users get a multitude of options to work out which helps them align with the fitness goals of their choice
- The handlebars are equipped with dual EKG sensors that detect the user’s pulse. It is also provided with a CoolAire fan and an integrated music system with iPod connectivity that is equipped with speakers.
Alternatives to the ProForm ZT4 Treadmill
If this is not your product choice after our in-depth ProForm ZT4 Treadmill review, here are a few alternatives that you might wanna take a look at
The Goplus 2 in 1 Foldable Treadmill has a unique folding design for dual modes, with a foldable riser that can be lifted up for jogging upto 2.5 mph. When the riser is folded down, it enables a running mode upto 7.5mph, while remaining rather quiet.
This makes it a versatile option for users with different requirements. This foldable design ensures easy storage, as users can just slide it under a table or bed without having to occupy too much useful floor space.
It also has a phone holder, multifunctional LED display and attachable armrests, which provides the option to multitask while getting a workout in. The device is enabled with Bluetooth connectivity, which allows users to connect their phones to the integrated speakers of this product.
This model is also provided with a remote that can control the speed of operation without the need for a fixed console.
The NordicTrack T6.5SI is the upgraded version of the entry-level treadmill from NordicTrack’s T series lineup. The treadmill has very similar specifications to ZT4 but has a lot more features, although you will have to pay a lot more to avail these features.
The biggest upgrade of the 6.5 Si is the inclusion and integration of a one-year iFit subscription while purchasing from Amazon.
This opens up infinite possibilities for workouts, with professional guidance from fitness trainers who can interact and control your device while you are working out.
This includes allowing the trainer to control your incline and speed settings remotely.
Even otherwise, the 6.5 Si is equipped with 20 inbuilt workout programs compared to the 16 programs of the ZT4, giving you more options when it comes to your workouts.
The 6.5 Si comes with a 10” HD screen that is touchscreen enabled. This allows for an easier understanding of the various parameters displayed, while also ensuring iFit workouts can be viewed comfortably without requiring an external tablet or phone.
The running track is wider and longer at 20” and 55” respectively. This still doesn’t ensure comfortable running but allows the user to workout with a bit more freedom compared to the ZT4.
The system is designed with the SpaceSaver technology and the EasyLift assist technology, which lifts the treadmill with one push. However, it does not need the user to support the deck on its way down as it has a hydraulic system to do it for the user.
The last advantage the 6.5 Si has over the ZT4 is that it has a better warranty package, with a 10-year warranty on the frame and motor, a 2-year parts warranty, and a 1-year labor warranty.
We have made a detailed NordicTrack T 6.5S Treadmill Review, you can also read that, this is the #1 treadmill of Amazon.
The Goplus Folding Treadmill is a foldable treadmill designed by Goplus. This treadmill is extremely light and compactly designed.
This treadmill has an LED display and a heart sensor too but also has a tablet holder provision which allows the user to multitask or have access to entertainment of their choice.
It is a great choice for users looking for a very cheap treadmill with similar features to that of the ZT4.
Our ProForm ZT4 treadmill has the following conclusions after a comprehensive review of the product. Here we are at the end of our proform zt4 review. If you don’t like it you can check out some of the alternatives as well.
The ZT4 is a good product from ProForm, with a very attractive price point and features that justify the pricing of the product. It certainly appeals to customers looking for space-saving options from a reliable brand.
The 16 preset workouts, adjustable incline, 2.75 CHP motor and ProShox Cushioning are the biggest selling points of this treadmill, offering great comfort and catering to the various requirements of customers according to their fitness goals.
The connectivity, display, and build quality are huge let-downs though, which lowers the quality of what would have been a great product otherwise.
If you are a beginner or an intermediate physical fitness enthusiast looking for a treadmill that lets you comfortably go on for indoor walks or light jogging, then this product is definitely one you should consider while looking for a new treadmill.
For regular running enthusiasts and gym-goers with intense workout requirements or people looking for more features without budget constraints, the ProForm ZT4 treadmill will turn out to be a disappointment and you might want to look at other options in the treadmill segment.
You can also read some of the ProForm ZT4 Treadmill Reviews left by the owner, you can click on the button provided below.
We have covered reviews of some of the top-rated and best treadmills of amazon, if you don’t like this one, you can also read them as well:
- Xterra Fitness TR150 Review (2600+ Reviews)
- Weslo Cadence G 5.9 (3780+ Reviews)
- Fitness Reality TR3000, Best Affordable Treadmill
- Proform 590T Treadmill Reviews: Is This Really Worth The Price?